Date: 26th November 2016 at 12:15pm
Written by:

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has confirmed in his pre-match press conference today that midfielder Jack Wilshere is set to be offered a new contract at the Emirates Stadium.

The England international is spending this season on loan at fellow Premier League side Bournemouth in a bid to get regular first team football, but it looks like he does have a future in North London.

This is all after Wenger willingly let Wilshere move out on loan at the start of the campaign after admitting that he wasn’t guaranteed to start at Arsenal, combined with the fact that he needed minutes on the pitch to get back to full fitness.

Photo: Mark Leech

Photo: Mark Leech

However, the Gunners boss said that the club are set to offer the 24-year-old a new deal.

Asked about whether Wilshere would get a new contract, he said: ‘’Of course.

‘Ideally [it will be addressed before next summer]. We have to plan around the new year.

‘I am happy that he develops well. In the end it was a good decision to go to Bournemouth because he gets regular football. People who watch him say he is getting stronger every week.’

The English midfielder has appeared 11 times for Bournemouth in the Premier League this season, and completed his first 90 minutes in over two years in their 0-0 draw with Tottenham on October 22.

Wilshere also received a call-up to Gareth Southgate’s England squad for the games against Scotland and Spain earlier this month, having missed out on Southgate’s first squad in October and Sam Allardyce’s one and only squad back in September due to injury.

Things are clearly heading in the right direction for Wilshere, whose impressive performances for Bournemouth will rightly keep him in the England fold, and give him every chance of regaining a place in Wenger’s Arsenal team in years to come.

 
Brought to you by Shoot!