Chelsea have reportedly been dealt a blow in their hopes of signing Atletico Madrid attacking midfielder Koke, with the player committing his future to the La Liga side, according to the London Evening Standard.
The Spain international has been a long-term target for the Blues, and incoming manager Antonio Conte, who will take charge at Stamford Bridge after leading Italy at this summer’s European Championships, had been keen to bring the 24-year-old to England.
However, Koke, who will appear in Saturday evening’s Champions League final against arch-rivals Real, has said that he wants to stay with Atleti, which is bad news for Conte, who is keen to strengthen a team that finished 10th in the Premier League this term.
The midfielder said: “How can I leave? Why would I want to lose all of this? To be an Atleti player is the best there is.
“Atleti is special. It is a family. I am happy where I am.”
Koke has spent his whole career with Atletico, making 265 appearances in all competitions, scoring 23 goals.