Date: 4th June 2021 at 6:32am
Written by:

With the dust finally settling on the domestic football season following Chelsea’s Champions League triumph, fans have little time to relax before the European Championship kicks off on June 11.

The rearranged tournament, originally scheduled for last summer, starts with Turkey against Italy, before Wales become the first of the home nations to feature when they face Switzerland the following day.

A number of the world’s greatest players will be on show to fans, with Premier League clubs also given a shop window to view the players they are interested in.

For Chelsea, however, the Euros this summer could simply be a case of rubbing salt into a wound, as one of their top targets has spoken out and appeared to dismiss talk of a move to South West London.

As reported by Football Italia, former Blues man Romelu Lukaku has said that he ‘”is staying at Inter”, all but ending speculation of a sensational return to Stamford Bridge.

The 28-year-old, who will lead the line for Belgium at the tournament this summer, had been heavily linked with a move back to the club who sold him in 2014.

Since leaving the Bridge, Lukaku has scored a remarkable 193 club goals for Manchester United, Everton and Inter.

The striker was instrumental in Inter’s pursuit of the Serie A title this season, scoring 24 league goals and contributing a further 10 assists.

Lukaku has committed his future to Inter

Speaking to VTM, Lukaku explained that he has already made up his mind about his immediate future.

“I am staying at Inter,” he said.

“I have already spoken to the man who will become out new coach. Maybe I shouldn’t say that yet, but it was a very positive conversation.

“The challenge is to win again. I feel good at Inter, I finally won some silverware. I really enjoyed it, but I want to do that again, this time with a packed San Siro.”

Chelsea had reportedly turned their attention to Lukaku after failing in an attempt to sign top target Erling Haaland from Borussia Dortmund.

With both Tammy Abraham and Olivier Giroud expected to depart this summer, Thomas Tuchel will be desperate to bolster his attacking ranks.

 
Brought to you by Shoot!