Remaining positive, and putting the Bristol City game at the back of my mind, I decided to do my research and enlighten fellow Wednesdayites with five eye-catching and interesting facts on the Owls.
1. Did you know? Sheffield Wednesday have faced rivals Sheffield United on 140 occasions (including cup competitions) throughout the history of both football clubs.
And here is the record…
Sheffield Wednesday wins: 48
Sheffield United wins: 48
Yes, that’s right; both clubs have won the steel city derby 48 times. The first ever fixture between the two clubs was a 2-1 win for Wednesday on April 23, 1891 in front of 3,250 fans – almost 125 years ago. Of course, we ALL remember the most recent fixture between the two clubs, February 26, 2012. Sheffield Wednesday won the Yorkshire derby 1-0 courtesy of a Chris O’Grady headed goal in the 73rd minute in front of 36,000 plus spectators. The City is STILL Ours…
2. Did you know? Striker Sergiu Bus has a pass success percentage of 100% this season, the best in the Owls’ squad. This however is due to Bus playing only nine minutes of league football for Wednesday this season. You could therefore say Alex Lopez boasts the best pass success percentage within the squad having at least played a full 90 minutes. Lopez currently has a pass success percentage of 83.9% this season after making 18 league appearances in total.
3. Did you know? Coincidentally, the Sheffield Wednesday Ladies lifted the League Cup in 1991 also. The year 1991 sits proudly in the history of both the Sheffield Wednesday men’s and women’s clubs. Having just surpassed my fifth birthday, the 1991 League Cup final had a huge impact on my support for Sheffield Wednesday. I have followed the Owls ever since Ron Atkinson’s men lifted the trophy 25 years ago thanks to a John Sheridan strike in the 37th minute, beating Manchester United 1-0.
4. Did you know? Austrian giant Atdhe Nuhiu has committed 68 fouls in total in the league this season and unbelievably has yet to be carded. Wednesdayites know Atdhe’s size and presence fails to impress most referees when making any sort of challenge, I guess the Wednesday number 9 can’t win either way. On the flip side, Nuhiu has committed one foul in all cup competitions this season and received a yellow card in the 84th minute on that occasion, a 3-2 defeat away to Shrewsbury Town in the FA Cup fourth round. Strange?
5. Did you know? Sheffield Wednesday’s all-time goalscoring total is 7,978 since the club’s establishment back in 1867. The Owls are just 22 goals short of reaching a landmark 8,000 goals. Unfortunately this milestone may not be reached until next season. Good luck guessing who the goalscorer might be!!!
If you have any interesting Sheffield Wednesday facts, feel free to post them below.