Date: 26th September 2016 at 10:52am
Written by:

Scunthorpe United remain top of League One, despite being held to a 2-2 draw at home to Sheffield United, in what was an enthralling encounter.

Chris Basham gave the Blades the lead as he put the finishing touch onto a well worked free-kick routine. But, the Irons hit back as Josh Morris’ powerful strike levelled the score after his pulsating run down the left wing, before Duane Holmes thought he had netted the winner for the hosts with just eight minutes remaining.

Yet there was to be more drama, as moments later Billy Sharp coolly slotted home a penalty to take share of the spoils for the visitors.

own - Drissa Traore of Swindon tackles Ryan Colclough of Crewe - Photo: Simon Stacpoole / Offside.

Wigan loanee, Colclough, has now scored four goals in his last three league appearances for MK Dons – Photo: Simon Stacpoole / Offside.

Milton Keynes Dons crushed Fleetwood Town 4-1 on their travels as on-loan Wigan Athletic winger Ryan Colclough ran rampant, scoring a superb hat-trick. Dean Bowditch found the back of the net with a penalty either side of Colcough’s first two strikes, as the visitors raced into a 3-0 lead.

Bobby Grant’s long-range effort found its way through a crowd of Dons defenders for the Cod Army’s consolation, but Colclough completed the day’s action as he too struck from the penalty spot to complete his treble.

Northampton Town also scored four as they won 4-0 at home to Southend United, as they hit back from their defeat last weekend which ended their 31-league game unbeaten run. John-Joe O’Toole, Alex Revell and Paul Anderson all got on the scoresheet, as did former Burnley star Matt Taylor, who whipped the ball into the top right-hand corner from a 30-yard free-kick.

Rochdale clinched only their second league win of the campaign as they beat Millwall 3-2 away from home. Callum Camps put Dale ahead with a fine finish, but the Lions struck back in quick succession through Aiden O’Brien and Lee Gregory, who scored on his 100th appearance for the London club, all inside a sensational opening 20 minutes of the match.

Calvin Andrew’s header made it 2-2 after half-time, before Ian Henderson won the match with a 93rd minute penalty.

Bury moved up to second on Saturday as they beat Chesterfield at home 2-1. Tom Pope netted the winner three minutes from time, as the Shakers recorded their fifth straight league victory. Zeli Ismail had initially given the hosts the advantage, before Kristian Dennis’ equaliser saw the two sides head into the interval all square.

Swindon Town scored in each half as they beat Oldham Athletic 2-0, as the Robins climb to 17th in the table. Jonathan Obika put the Robins ahead with his second goal of the season, before Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill doubled their lead from eight yards with a lovely chip.

AFC Wimbledon and Shrewsbury Town played out a 1-1 draw, as neither side threatened to score a winner. It took just six minutes for Lyle Taylor to score for the Dons, as the striker grabbed his second league goal of the campaign, as they took a 1-0 half-time lead. But, shortly after the break, Ian Black’s 25-yard thunderous effort found the bottom corner to level the score.

of Charlton and Jason Pearce of CharltonPhoto: Charlotte Wilson

Taylor (Centre) took just six minutes to fire AFC Wimbledon in front against Shrewsbury – Photo: Charlotte Wilson / Offside.

Neither Bolton Wanderers nor Bradford City found a way to break the deadlock as they drew 0-0. The Trotters, who won their opening four league games of the season, have now dropped to third after failing to gain a victory from their last five outings.

Bristol Rovers came from a goal down to win 2-1 at home to Port Vale. Martin Paterson put the Valliants in the lead with a driven strike, but Ellis Harrison equalised just before the break with a header and Jermaine Easter’s penalty won it for the Pirates come the final whistle.

Coventry City are still yet to win a league match this season after losing 2-1 at Gillingham, despite being 1-0 up when Kyel Reid volleyed home from Gael Bigirimana’s assist. But the hosts hit back through Max Ehmer and Billy Knott’s winner.

Oxford United came from behind to draw 1-1 at home to Charlton Athletic, meaning the Addicks have now gone five games without a victory. Johnnie Jackson’s penalty gave Russell Slade’s side the lead, only for Chris Maguire to level the score with his fifth goal of the campaign.

Peterborough United also drew 1-1 at home to Walsall. Veteran striker Simeon Jackson put the visitors in front with a lovely near-post header, before Marcus Maddison equalised with a well taken left-footed strike.

Player of the Weekend: Ryan Colclough (Milton Keynes Dons)
Team of the Weekend: Rochdale
Goal of the Weekend: Matt Taylor (NORTHAMPTON TOWN vs Southend United)

Brought to you by Shoot!