Date: 25th April 2016 at 10:32am
Written by:

York City were relegated from League Two after a 3-0 home defeat to promotion chasing Accrington, who remain in second place as a result. Tarique-Fosu opened the scoring for the visitors after picking up a loose ball, before Josh Windass’ brace helped Stanley inch closer to League One football next season.

Third-placed Oxford United put their two-game winless run behind them with a 2-0 victory over Hartlepool and are now one point clear of fourth place in their own bid for automatic promotion. Kemar Roofe put the hosts in front after just seven minutes, before U’s fans had to wait nervously until second-half stoppage time for the next goal as Liam Sercombe found the back of the net with a cool finish.

Photo: Marc Atkins / Offside.

Roofe’s 26th goal of the season set Oxford on their way to a 2-0 win over Hartlepool at the Kassam Stadium – Photo: Marc Atkins / Offside.

Bristol Rovers are up to fourth after a 3-1 win over Exeter, as they remain one point outside the top three. Billy Bodin’s effort and Lee Brown’s superb free-kick gave the Pirates a 2-0 lead at half-time. Jake Taylor pulled one back for the visitors, but Matt Taylor netted his 28th goal of the season to restore the hosts’ two-goal cushion.

Plymouth’s automatic promotion chances were dealt a severe blow as they lost 3-2 at home to already relegated Dagenham. The Daggers raced into a 3-0 lead after strikes from Matty Cash, Clevid Dikamona and Christian Doidge. The Pilgrims replied when Peter Hartley and Graham Carey both found the back of the net, but it was too little too late come the final whistle.

Stevenage thrashed Morecambe 4-1, despite going a goal down when Cole Stockton put the hosts in front. Efforts from Ben Kennedy, an own goal by Alan Goodall and a brace from Dean Parrett rounded off the win.

Wimbledon have all but confirmed their place in this year’s play-offs after a 1-0 victory over Leyton Orient in a tight match. Lyle Taylor’s tap-in after 17 minutes was enough for the Dons, who now only need two points from their last three matches.

Cambridge kept their faint chances of a play-off place alive with a 2-1 win at Notts County as U’s manager Shaun Derry claimed victory against his former club. Luke Berry put the visitors in front after forcing an error from Magpies keeper Scott Loach. Liam Noble netted an equaliser from a free-kick, but Ben Williamson grabbed the winner from a goalmouth scramble.

Portsmouth need just one point from their final two matches to confirm a play-off place after they narrowly beat Wycombe 2-1. Gary Roberts and Conor Chaplin put Pompey two goals to the good, although Sido Jombati’s lovely free-kick in the second-half set-up a nervy finish in Fratton Park.

Carlisle won for the first time in four matches after winning 1-0 at Crawley. Charlie Wyke scored the game’s only goal 12 minutes from time in a match with few chances. Gavin Tomlin had a shot cleared off the line for the hosts, who have bow lost their last six matches.

Newport guaranteed their place in League Two next term after their 1-1 draw at Luton, with both goals coming in the final ten minutes. Jack Marriott put the hosts ahead in the 81st minute, before Souleymane Coulibaly earned a point for County shortly after.

League Two champions Northampton set a new club record as they have now gone 22 matches unbeaten with a 1-1 draw at Yeovil. On-loan Bournemouth winger Harry Cornick put the Glovers ahead, before Nicky Adams equalised.

And finally, Mansfield’s chances of a play-off spot were ended after they drew 1-1 with Barnet. John Akinde had put the Bees in front, before Emmanuel Dieseruvwe levelled the scores.

Player of the Weekend: Dean Parrett (Stevenage)
Team of the Weekend: Dagenham and Redbridge
Goal of the Weekend: Matty Cash (Plymouth vs DAGENHAM)

Brought to you by Shoot!