Date: 21st March 2016 at 11:18am
Written by:

Bristol Rovers moved into League Two’s automatic promotion places as they came from behind to thrash Newport 4-1 in the Severnside derby to secure their fifth consecutive win.

Alex Rodman had put the hosts in front, before Ollie Clarke’s incredible equaliser. Then second-half strikes from Cristian Montano, Matty Taylor and Ellis Harrison wrapped up the three points.

Northampton’s 15-game unbeaten run nearly came to an end as they came from two goals down to beat Stevenage 3-2. The home side raced in front after a brace from Luke Wilkinson. But, James Collins pulled one back just before the break, before a strike from John-Joe O’Toole drew the sides level. The Cobblers then won it deep into stoppage-time when Ricky Holmes’ exquisite shot from the edge of the area found the back of the net.

19 January 2016 - The Emirates FA Cup 3rd Round (Replay) - MK Dons v Northampton Town - Ricky Holmes of Northampton Town - Photo: Marc Atkins / Offside.

Ricky Holmes’ 95th minute winner at Stevenage preserved Northampton’s 11-point lead at the top of League Two.

Plymouth now occupy a play-off place as they dropped to fourth place after a 1-0 defeat by Luton. Jack Marriott scored the match’s only goal with a calm finish from Paddy McCourt’s pass to dent the Pilgrims’ promotion hopes.

Oxford maintained their push for promotion with a comfortable 3-0 victory at Barnet. Callum O’Dowda’s brace along with Danny Hylton’s drive made sure of the three points for the visitors.

Strugglers York fell to a late 2-1 defeat by Wimbledon after conceding in the 93rd minute to remain seven points from safety. City took the lead when Russell Penn latched onto a loose ball, before Rhys Murphy tucked home Dannie Bulman’s cross. The Dons won it when Jake Reeves’ fierce 30-yard volley flew past goalkeeper Scott Flinders.

Exeter destroyed Notts County 4-1 as four different scorers got on the scoresheet. Izale McLeod scored either side of Jayden Stockley and Jake Taylor’s efforts, before Christian Ribeiro and Ollie Watkins completed the rout.

Cambridge ran out 3-0 winners as they ended Yeovil’s four-match winning streak. Ben Williamson’s double saw the hosts take a 2-0 advantage at half-time, before James Spencer wrapped up all three points late on.

Bottom side Dagenham were denied a point as they lost 1-0 to Accrington. Billy Kee netted the winner with just seven minutes remaining, helping the visitors strengthen their position in the play-offs. The Daggers are still nine points from safety at the bottom of the standings.

Leyton Orient moved into the play-offs with a 1-0 win over Morecambe as Ryan Edwards converted the ball into his own net ten minutes from time after goalkeeper Barry Roche had been sent-off for the Shrimps.

Portsmouth remain in the play-offs, despite only managing to draw 1-1 with fellow promotion hopefuls Mansfield. Danny Green had put the Stags in front, but Pompey levelled through an own goal by Ryan Tafazolli after the ball deflected off of his legs.

Whilst, Wycombe dropped out of the top seven as they were held to a 1-1 draw at Carlisle. Sam Wood put the visitors in front when he latched onto the end of Joe Jacobson’s cross, only for Charlie Wyke to equalise just moments later.

Hartlepool are now nine points clear of the relegation zone after a 0-0 draw at Crawley, with Pool coming the closest to opening the scoring when Nathan Thomas’ effort sailed just wide.

Player of the Weekend: Callum O’Dowda (Oxford United)
Team of the Weekend: Northampton Town
Goal of the Weekend: Jake Reeves (AFC WIMBLEDON v York)

Brought to you by Shoot!