Date:9th May 2016 at 10:02am
Written by:

Oxford earned promotion to League One after a comfortable 3-0 win at home to Wycombe was enough to seal second place in League Two this season. Cheyenne Dunkley scored the goal that took the U’s into the third-tier of English football shorty after half-time, before Chris Maguire and Callum O’Dowda ensured that the hosts went up in style.

Bristol Rovers made it back-to-back promotions in dramatic style after their 2-1 win over relegated Dagenham in stoppage-time. Matthew Cash had given the Daggers a surprise lead, before Billy Bodin equalised for the Pirates and left-back Lee Brown’s right-footed strike sealed promotion in the 92nd minute.

Photo: Marc Atkins / Offside.

Michael Appleton’s Oxford finished second in League Two after defeating Wycombe 3-0 on Saturday – Photo: Marc Atkins / Offside.

Accrington missed the chance to play in the third-tier of English football for the first time in their history after they dropped to fourth after Bristol Rovers’ stoppage-time winner. Stanley knew a win would earn them promotion, but they were held to a goalless draw at home to Stevenage. However Accrington will have a second chance of promotion this term when they participate in the end-of-season play-offs.

Champions Northampton Town finished their stunning campaign in style with a 2-1 win at play-off bound Portsmouth, extending their unbeaten stretch to 24 matches. Pompey’s Jack Whatmough put the Cobblers in front when he put the ball into his own net from Nicky Adams’ cross. Kal Naismith then equalised for Pompey with a 25-yard strike, but James Collins ensured the visitors a win with his close-range effort.

Plymouth got back to winning ways as they thrashed Hartlepool 5-0 ahead of their play-off semi-final against Portsmouth. Tyler Harvey and Louis Rooney both scored two each alongside Curtis Nelson’s header.

Carlisle also won 5-0 on their visit to Notts County, in Mark Cooper’s last game in charge of the Magpies. The visitors raced into a 3-0 lead at half-time through Alex Gilliead, Danny Grainger and Jabo Ibehre’s first goal, before he grabbed his second shortly after the restart. with Charlie Wyke eventually rounding off the scoring.

Luton demolished Exeter 4-1 as the hosts finished their season in devastating fashion. The Hatters took a three-goal lead into the break thanks to strikes from Cameron McGeehan, Jack Marriott and Joe Pigott. Jayden Stockley pulled one back for the visitors, before Marriott netted his second of the game.

Crawley lost for the eighth game in a row after a 3-0 defeat to Barnet in Dermot Drummy’s first game in charge at home. The Bees went ahead through Elliot Johnson’s fine left-footed strike from the edge of the penalty box, before John Akinde scored twice against his former club.

AFC Wimbledon beat Newport 1-0 in their final match ahead of their play-off semi-final with Accrington, as Toyosi Olusanya scored a penalty with just ten minutes left to play. The result means County have now failed to win in their last 11 games.

Leyton Orient won 1-0 at Yeovil as they ended their season on a high note, thanks to an Ollie Palmer winner with three minutes left to play.

Relegated York were denied a win in their last game in League Two as they drew 1-1 at Morecambe. Luke Summerfield gave the visitors a 1-0 lead with a driven strike, but Jamie Devitt’s stunning effort from distance dipped into the back of the net to earn a point.

And finally, Mansfield drew 0-0 at home to Cambridge as both sides failed to score in their final League Two fixture of the season.

Player of the Weekend: Tyler Harvey (Plymouth Argyle)
Team of the Weekend: Bristol Rovers
Goal of the Weekend: Kal Naismith (PORTSMOUTH vs Northampton Town)

Brought to you by Shoot!