Manchester United’s reported target, John Obi Mikel, is rated “50-50” to leave Chelsea during the forthcoming January transfer window, according to Goal.
The Premier League side, who currently sit sixth in the English top-flight table after Sunday’s 1-1 draw at home to West Ham United, are understood to be considering luring the out-of-favour Chelsea midfielder to Old Trafford in the new year.
The 29-year-old, who has 78 international caps for his country, has failed to make a single first-team appearance in all competitions for The Blues so far this season.
Mikel, who arrived at Stamford Bridge back in 2006, is said to be wanted by ex-Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, with the ‘Special One’ now managing at The Theatre of Dreams, with the midfielder currently low down in the pecking order under Antonio Conte in London.
Previous reports suggested that United could snap the midfielder up for as little as £2m next month, whilst several Chinese Super League sides have also been linked with Mikel.
Amid transfer speculation, the player’s agent, John Shittu, told Goal, “We have been having meeting with a few parties who are interested in him, once we are able to agree the way forward with Chelsea, then we will take it from there.
“There are a few clubs in Europe and Asia, they are numerous and are interested in him because he is a quality player, aged only 29, and we just have to speak, so we will see. A lot of interest is there.