Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez says the club still “have plenty of time” to secure a permanent deal for forward Christian Atsu.
The Championship leaders, who defeated promotion rivals Huddersfield Town 3-1 at the John Smith’s Stadium on Saturday night, have reaped the benefits of the Chelsea loanee’s form of late.
The 25-year-old, who is a Ghana international and starred for his country at the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations earlier this year, has scored three goals and provided one assist in 24 appearances in all competitions for the Magpies so far this season.
Atsu arrived at St James’ Park back in August from Premier League leaders Chelsea on a season-long loan deal, though Newcastle have first option on signing the winger permanently this summer if they secure promotion.
When asked whether the club would submit an offer to Chelsea for the Ghanaian, boss Benitez told the Chronicle Live, “We have plenty of time, so no problem.
“Atsu is doing well. He was doing well before, and after playing a lot of games in the Africa Cup of Nations, he has come back and regained his form little by little.
“That is quite good. We are really pleased with him. Hopefully, he can play well until the end.”