Date: 26th August 2015 at 9:07am
Written by:

Celtic fell at the Champions League play-off round for the second consecutive year as they were dumped out following a 2-0 (4-3 aggregate) defeat at Malmo.

A Markus Rosenberg strike and a Dedryck Boyata own goal, one either side of the break, dealt the Scottish champions a knockout blow.

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND - AUGUST 16:  Celtic manager Ronny Delia looks on during the Scottish Premiership League Match between Celtic and Dundee United, at Celtic Park on August 16, 2014 Glasgow, Scotland. (Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images)

A large, 66%, share of possession didn’t create any goals for the Glaswegian club, with the Swedish club making the most of counter attacks and set pieces to overturn a 3-2 deficit.

Ronny Deila is expected to come up against further criticism after failing to take the Bhoys to the group stages of Europe’s elite club competition, which would’ve seen them on the end of a £20 million windfall, yet again.

As expected, the Hoops were immediately made to withstand pressure from their hosts, with winger Jo Inge Berget rocketing a shot just wide of Craig Gordon’s goal with three minutes on the clock.

Berget, who scored twice in the first-leg and was on loan at Celtic last season, was causing his old friends havoc again a few minutes later, with striker Rosenberg just not managing to connect to the winger’s low driven cross.

Realising the danger of losing their lead, the visitors launched a series of their own attacks – Leigh Griffiths’ volley went just wide after racing past a dozing Malmo defence, and Virgil van Dijk somehow sent a free header wide.

And the Bhoys were punished for not taking these chances, as Rosenberg’s shoulder connected to a Yoshimar Yotun corner, sending the ball over the on-rushing Gordon and into the net.

Behind on away goals, Celtic nearly went two-down just before half time, with only the flying body of  Boyata denying Rosenberg’s goal-bound strike.

The Belgian then thought he’d levelled matters on the night when he slotted home after Malmo goalkeeper Johan Wilder dropped.

However, the referee adjudged Griffiths to have fouled Wilder, disallowing Celtic’s equaliser even though replays suggested the decision was incredibly lenient towards the Swedes.

With 45 minutes to save their Champions League dreams, Celtic didn’t start the second half brightly.

An unmarked Rosenberg somehow managed to drag a shot from 10 yards fairly far wide of Gordon’s goal, before, a few minutes later, the Scottish stopper produced a remarkable double save, denying a low Vladimir Rodic shot and Rosenberg’s close range rebound.

However, Deila’s men conceded from the resulting corner, with Boyata inadvertently knocking the ball over the line, putting Malmo 2-0 up on the night and 4-3 up on aggregate.

The Hoops boss threw on Nadir Cifti and Gary Mackay-Steven late on, but his and Celtic’s attempts to salvage the tie proved fruitless.

Malmo head into Thursday’s group stage draw, whilst Celtic have to settle dumped into Friday’s Europa League draw.

Brought to you by Shoot!