Date: 1st August 2015 at 4:30pm
Written by:

Chelsea won their first ever Women’s FA Cup and the first final to be played at Wembley Stadium as Ji so-Yun’s goal saw off Notts County 1-0.

A crowd of 30,710, a record for a domestic women’s game in this country, saw the South Korean star tuck home from close range on 37 minutes to earn the Blues a deserved victory.

1 August 2015 - Womens FA Cup Final - Chelsea Ladies v Notts County Ladies Ji So-Yun of Chelsea is pursued by Jess Clarke Photo: Charlotte Wilson

County, who were also aiming to lift the trophy for the first time, struggled to create opportunities throughout and were often tormented by the pace of their opponents, especially Eni Aluko.

This historic game under the arch started incredibly slowly, with both sides maybe letting the occasion get to them early on.

Chelsea did have two strong penalty claims though as the ball seemed to strike the hand of Alex Greenwood then Leanne Crichton.

Notts boss Rick Passmoor was probably relieved that his stopper Carly Telford hadn’t been tested.

The keeper had been a doubt coming into the match having only just returned following a dislocated shoulder picked up on England World Cup duty.

This led to a call for an emergency keeper controversially being rejected by the FA earlier this week.

However, Telford was called into action just past the half hour mark when Aluko beat her to Gemma Davison’s pinpoint pass, but the England striker could only hit the side netting from a tight angle.

Notts’ number 1 then palmed away Aluko’s stinging drive before the latter brilliantly crossed to the on-rushing Davison who, at full stretch, could only hook the ball wide from point-blank range.

Emma Hayes’ side’s mouting pressure did pay off though eight minutes before the break with the lively Aluko heavily involved once more.

The Blues’ number 9 tormented fellow Lioness Laura Bassett with her pace before prodding the ball to Ji who calmly poked into n empty net after the ball evaded a committed Telford.

Notts needed to liven up or the cup was making the short trip to west London.

And after the break the Lady Magpies came out with more intent; Desiree Scott’s long range drive deflected just wide before Crichton’s header was cleared off the line by Davison from the resulting corner.

Not happy with just a one-goal lead though, Chelsea continued to press and Aluko, who deserved a goal for her impressive performance, saw her low shot saved by Telford.

Gilly Flaherty could then only flick over from three yards out before Drew Spence lashed wide of the post.

But these missed opportunities didn’t matter as Chelsea comfortably saw out the match, leaving skipper Katie Chapman to pick up the cup for a ninth time in her career after previous triumphs with Millwall, Fulham, Charlton and Arsenal.

Player of the Match: Eni Aluko

Brought to you by Shoot!