Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has reportedly banned midfielder Paul Pogba from speaking publicly about the club’s current plight, according to the Evening Standard.
The Premier League club, who were held to an underwhelming goalless draw at home to Valencia in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday night, currently sit tenth in the English top-flight standings, already nine points adrift of joint-leaders Manchester City and Liverpool after their opening nine league games.
Amid The Red Devils’ troubles on the pitch, the report claims boss Mourinho has banned central midfielder Pogba, 25, from speaking to the media for the foreseeable future.
‘The Special One’ stripped the 2018 FIFA World Cup winner of the vice-captaincy last week, and has been left angered by the club-record £89m signing’s recent comments to journalists, including calls for the team to “attack, attack, attack” following last month’s 1-1 league stalemate against newly promoted Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Following Tuesday night’s 0-0 draw against Valencia in Europe, Pogba was asked to speak to the press, but the France international simply replied, “I’ve been told I’m not allowed.”
That short comment followed a significant four-word response after last Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at West Ham United, when he said, “You want me dead?”
Pogba, who is contracted at Old Trafford until June 2021, has scored four goals and provided two assists in nine appearances in all competitions for United so far this season.
He has been continuously linked with a future transfer to La Liga champions FC Barcelona, and is valued at £81m.
Written by Dan Church Follow @DJChurch94