Date: 5th August 2015 at 4:40pm
Written by:

Angel Di Maria has been all over the headlines and social media after reportedly agreeing a move to Paris Saint-Germain for a fee in the region of £44m after only one season at Manchester United.

Born in Rosario, Argentina, Di Maria played 35 times for his local team, Rosario Central in two years before sealing a €6m move to Benfica. Originally the Portuguese side only paid for 80% of Di Maria’s sports rights but a year later they bought the remaining 20% but re-sold 10% to GestiFute.

4th April 2015 - Barclays Premier League - Manchester United v Aston Villa - Angel Di Maria of Man Utd - Photo: Simon Stacpoole / Offside.

He made 76 appearances spanning three years, scoring seven goals in the process before Real Madrid acquitted his services for a fee of around €25m, with €11m in incentives. Di Maria was to become one of Real Madrid’s key men, goals and assists were regularities week in week out, he played 124 times for Madrid, scoring 22 goals in his spell in Spain.

Having been a part of La Decima, the 10th time Real Madrid had won the Champions League, Di Maria would smash the Premier League transfer record after Manchester United paid a fee in the region of £59.7m for the Argentinian. However, despite an impressive start, he lost form and his poor spell in England is coming to an abrupt end, with United boss Louis van Gaal stating in a press conference that he hasn’t known where Angel Di Maria has been, because he hasn’t turned up for training on their pre-season tour.

15th June 2014 - FIFA World Cup - Group F - Argentina v Bosnia & Herzegovina - Angel Di Maria of Argentina battles with Mensur Mujdza of Bosnia - Photo: Simon Stacpoole / Offside.

It just hasn’t quite clicked for Angel Di Maria in England; big money and big pressure. He hasn’t been able to deliver enough to give United fans something to shout about. It’s a bit like the situation with Mesut Özil, who arrived from Spain for a big money fee but Özil has started to get used to the demands and culture of the English game after being given time by Arsene Wenger. Many think LvG should do the same with Di Maria, but this isn’t going to happen.

On paper, Di Maria hasn’t had a bad season at all, boasting 10 league assists in just 20 appearances, scoring three goals in the process. He seemed to adapt to the English game and then forget how to play again after returning from injury. A reported attempted burglary in January also may have thrown him off course.

The player, who was Man of the Match in the 2014 Champions League final,  seems the perfect PSG signing, and nearly m0ved to the French capital in the past. If he rediscover’s his form, his pace on the counter attack should prove a massive weapon in Europe as the club hope to go further than the quarter-final stage they reached last term.

Here’s hoping we see the return of the real Di Maria – the one that shone in his final season for Real Madrid, scored a hat-trick against Germany, and performed in his first two months at Old Trafford.

 
Brought to you by Shoot!